The Ann Barrow Scholarship (Illustrators) – Deadline March 30, 2019
NESCBWI will award a scholarship to the 2020 New England conference, in memory of Ann Barrow, a dedicated SCBWI member & teacher, who illustrated over 20 children’s books including Big Blue, published by Charlesbridge in 2004, Butterflies in My Garden, published by Mondo in 2003 and Growing up Abenaki, written by Joseph Bruchac, published by Rigby in 2003. Her career began in 1977 and included book jackets, children’s magazines, greeting cards, giftware and portraiture. She was killed in 2006 in a tragic car accident.
* You must be a current/active member of SCBWI and a resident of New England. You do not need to be registered for the 2019 conference to be eligible.
* The winner of this year’s scholarship will receive free tuition for ONE DAY at the 2020 NESCBWI Conference. The winner will be announced Sunday, May 5, 2019 at the 2019 NESCBWI Conference in Springfield.
* All submissions must be e-mailed by March 30, 2019 to centralIC@NEscbwi.org.
* All submissions are a maximum of 5 (five) images. 5 images on one page counts as 5 images. Additional images will be removed.
* Spot illustrations may be included but no more than two. Each will count as a separate image.
* Past winners are not eligible.
* Presenters at NESCBWI 2019 are not eligible to apply but may apply any subsequent year they are not presenting.
*The scholarship does not cover any other expenses such as editor critiques, hotel or travel.
- Is the submitted art ready for publishing?
- Is there a consistency of quality and style of all the images?
- Are the submitted images engaging and appropriate for children (baby – teen)?
- All styles are given the same consideration – realistic, abstract, comical, etc.
- Only work presented will be considered, not previous work or work that a judge may be familiar with.
Submit the following:
* Send up to 5 (five) images in .pdf format, no larger than 5MB total to centralIC@NEscbwi.org. Additional images will be removed.
* All submissions must be e-mailed by March 30, 2019.
* Your name & contact info should appear on all pages.
Please include in your submission:
* Name, address, phone number and e-mail address. Please add “Ann Barrow Illustration Scholarship” in the subject line of your email.
Our preferred method of submission is a PDF attachment e-mailed to:
If you have any questions, please contact Milanka Reardon at centralIC@NEscbwi.org.